Friday, November 24, 2017

Thanksgiving and money.

Today, I really didn't talk to anyone online very much. Cinderelliot did briefly tell me about how his Thanksgiving was going, and that he went up to his grandmother's house and spent a lot of time there. He has yet to decide what game he wants to play next. A woman named Kvinne (not her real name) wished me a happy Thanksgiving even though they don't celebrate it in her country, and I thought that was really nice of her. I shared a lot of Thanksgiving memes on Facebook, too.

So I spent most of the day hanging out with my Mom. I woke up to have green bean casserole, a turkey drumstick with no bone (it fell off the bone because it was so juicy), cranberry sauce, and some stuffing with yellow cornbread and good herbs like rosemary and thyme. It was a very nice Thanksgiving dinner. We called my Grandma to see how she was doing at our Aunt's house, and she asked me if I'd think about coming to the airport to pick her up. That's at 5:00AM, so that's probably not happening. I would be in such a bad mood that it would spoil any fun we might have. Anyway, I asked my Mom for another $100 to put in my bank account today at about the same time I typically do, but she seemed uncomfortable due to some recent expenses we had a few months ago. A new Windows Phone for me and a used Thinkpad to replace her failing computer, to be specific. I'll need to start stretching the money out two or three times as long if my Dad doesn't give her more money, which kind of sucks (though he's likely to do that this Christmas). I should probably start selling some things, because I do have a lot of stuff I don't use. But it makes my Mom sad when I start doing that, because it makes her feel that she can't give me enough to make me happy. I should probably sell some of my old video game stuff on eBay after the holidays are over, but walk it to the post office while she's at work. The right thing to do would be to get a job, but... I'm too scared of all the foreigners around here to go to work or school anymore (that International School they built nearby has made traffic worse and attracted a lot of undesirables to our neighborhood) and I don't even feel safe taking the bus these days. Sigh. I'm a terrible person. Lazy and paranoid. But I'm slowly getting smarter at making money online.

The Black Friday deals on Steam were excellent, though. I got Gothic II, Risen, and Helen's Mysterious Castle for a combined total of less than $10. Also, just now, as I was winding the day up, Insulator linked me to a really good Amazon deal on an 200GB SD card. Normally $80, but on sale for $49. I couldn't quite afford that, so I got the next one down. A 128GB card for $28, and I spent a $5 Amazon gift card that I got via Bing rewards on that. Oh, and I decided to put a little bit of money into shares of Frontier Communication, my ISP. They're a very large ISP, but they lost 86% of their value recently. The stock is cheap right now, and if they recover I could find myself doing well. It's probably a bad idea, but I won't learn anything if I don't make a few mistakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment