Sunday, December 3, 2017

The Witcher 3, continued.

So, my four games from GameStop came recently, and the Paper Mario: Color Splash game from Wal-Mart we thought was coming finally got cancelled. So the only game we're getting is the sealed copy of Hyrule Warriors, which is thankfully likely to increase in value over the years. It's already selling above retail price, and will only get rarer thanks to the poor Wii U sales. Things have ultimately worked out.

This time the call situation started off in reverse of yesterday. I started the call off with Infamous collecting Korok seeds, and then he wanted to invite his friend that I don't like, I'm going to call her Pussy. I don't like her because of her political views, and also sort of see her as a rival because Infamous thinks she's more knowledgeable about English than I am. But I reluctantly agreed that he could add her as long as we stayed off that topic. Cinderelliot tried to call me while I was in this call, so I asked if I could add him. Shortly after I added him, though. Infamous had to leave. I suspect it's because Pussy doesn't like me, or doesn't like Cinderelliot. Unless he's upset that I wanted to hang out with Cinderelliot as well rather than just focusing on him play games. Couldn't be... could it? I'm probably being paranoid. I should try to revive the Voice Chat. That way we won't all be trying to focus on who to include in our calls.

Anyway, I tried to watch Cinderelliot play the Witcher again afterwards, though the call dropped several times. The story was very interesting. It was about this man who wants you to find his wife and kid. It turns out later that his wife ran away with the kid because he was abusive and drunk. And he also caused his wife to miscarry. It turns out that the fetus is key to finding her, but it has transformed into a monster that feeds on the energy of pregnant women. The man says he wants to break the curse on the fetus, and shows us where he buried it. He performs a ritual where he apologizes for not embracing the child and gives it a name, and has to worry about being mauled to death by it the whole time he's holding it. Geralt has to keep casting a calming spell on it while fighting off wraiths. There was a lot of background story to this, but that's the part I remember best.

An old face showed up today, a man I call Christian who hasn't talked much in 3 years. He was a guy I used to argue with occasionally back when I was left-wing. Now I would pretty much agree with him. It's sad, thinking about how I used to have no morals beyond avoiding punishment. I'm surprised he has positive memories of me. I'm glad I was somewhat respectful of him, at least I had some manners if nothing else. He was, predictably, talking about how sick he got of that forum we were all on, and asking about the whereabouts of his old friend, Odin. Odin has been missing for years, but he always used to hang out with Christian in a chat that was made up of mostly the "old guard" even at the time I was active. So they're real veterans. He says he regretted taking advantage of Odin's friendship. Infamous didn't know what to say, and said he could only speak for himself. He asked us to tell Odin if we ever saw him, that he wanted to chat. I went ahead and added Christian to my contact list, and he seemed glad I did. I may not be the friend he wanted, but at least he has a few people from those days that sort of remember the issues of the time. I have a pretty strong bond of what C.S. Lewis would call "Storge" with Christian, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment