Thursday, November 30, 2017

Frustrating day with a nice ending.

The first part of my day was exceptionally lonely and boring. The only call I got was from a telemarketer offering to give me free stuff because I participated in a sweepstakes. But then they suddenly started talking about my credit card info and I didn't want to pay, so I hung up on them. It sounded like they already had my info from somewhere else, and I'm worried they're going to charge me anyway. I'll just have to report on it if they do. I seriously thought about closing my bank account and moving it to a different bank, because I want to avoid the service fee I'm paying at my current bank anyway.

I'm also frustrated with a lot of my conservative friends because they've bought into the anti-corporate fearmongering of Democrats who want to regulate the Internet as a Title II utility. It makes me sad to see how stupid and ideologically inconsistent some of them are. It's no different than a lot of the government programs they oppose, but because they might not be able to stream Netflix or pirate movies easily, suddenly they're for government and against the free market? Shameful and foolish, acting against their own long-term interests for a perceived short-term gain. Existing antitrust laws would be sufficient to protect the consumer if properly enforced, without all this extra red tape, and encourage competition on top of it.

I'm sad to report that my Mom has made a terrible mistake shopping for my Wii U games. I unfortunately got angry with her and yelled at her again. I should be grateful she was willing to spend so much on me, but I hate being ripped off and seeing money go to waste. It's because she paid over $200 for $80 worth of games due to shopping at Wal-Mart rather than GameStop, and paid $60 a piece for Wii U games. Worse, she paid $75 for a new copy of Hyrule Warrior, which is more than it costs in the eShop. She casually mentioned how much they cost, and I freaked and told her to cancel the order. She then turned around and ordered the four games from GameStop instead for $80, and I thought we were going to be fine. It turned out that Wal-Mart didn't let her cancel two of the games... and they were the two she was being gouged the most on. Paper Mario: Color Splash, and Hyrule Warriors.

I think part of the reason I was so frustrated is that I've been working so hard to earn an extra $30 on InboxDollars, and the difference between GameStop's price and the price she spent at Wal-Mart on the two games they didn't let her cancel amounted to $30. But now that we're looking at those new-in-box games as an investment, that makes me feel better. I'm going to put them in my little wooden box and keep them until I turn 35. I suspect they'll be worth more than we paid in a few years as Wii U stuff becomes scarce and collectors start going after it.

I stopped to write this blog at just about this point, when suddenly Infamous called me. I was relieved, because everyone including him has been ignoring me this week, and my days seem empty and unmemorable on days when no one talks to me. I was desperate for someone to call me so I could vent about my day, and he didn't disappoint. He's finally gotten a bit more used to me again, and we're talking more casually over streams rather than just talking shop all the time about PowerPoint presentations. I honestly am kind of wondering he's warmed up to me a bit because I gave someone in the chat advice on how to get financial aid that I think they need, and he thinks I support the program as a result. On principle, I don't support it and would not vote for the continuation of the program. But I consider that irrelevant. If someone needs money and there's a government program that's offering them money, then I don't think individuals refusing to take the money on principle is going to return it to the taxpayer's pocket. It will just get wasted on something else. Besides, I'd rather the money go to someone I know than some random person I care nothing about. Maybe it's best if I don't mention that to Infamous.

Anyway, he was playing Breath of the Wild again, and this time he was going through this Death Mountain area with Gorons, that I remember seeing him play through last time a little. This time he got to the dungeon after using up all his Ancient Arrows to kill the sentries. Then he had to backtrack and use the cannons because he got up the mountain without hitting the boss once. But eventually he got into the dungeon and it was really dark inside. While we were in the call, he added someone I don't know well, that I'm going to call Fabian. He was kind of a chatterbox like me, thank goodness. I'm so tired of Skype calls with people where I have to do most of the work keeping the conversation going and I get half-ignored while they do other stuff. He has this weird way of speaking that seems expressive in an exaggerated way. Hard to explain, but he was very easy to talk to.

The call went on for three hours, and it turns out that Fabian understands where I'm coming from on Breath of the Wild, given that I've played so many Assassin's Creed and Elder Scrolls games to the point that I've gotten burned out on the open-world formula. Fabian also told me that he's going to be taking some games he purchased by mistake back to Target, even though he purchased them online. Apparently Target will take returns of items you buy online at any individual store. He told me right before he hung up the call that he has to go and do that in the morning. Oh, and he also added me as a contact. I do seem to slowly be reintegrating into the chat. I haven't heard anything from Insulator about his proposal to make me a moderator. I think maybe Infamous rejected the idea, and he doesn't have the heart to tell me. Could also be why Infamous was feeling bad and wanted to be extra nice to me today. Oh well, doesn't matter. The fact is, I needed someone to be nice to me today. I got that call just when I needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment